Vang Vieng is one of the most popular destinations in Southeast Asia among backpackers because of tubing and partying at the riverside. However, in the recent years, Vang Vieng is slowly revamping its image from being the party central of Laos to becoming a boutique destination not only for backpackers but to the other market segments of the travel world as well.
16 Things to Do in Vang Vieng Laos
If you’re planning to go to Laos in the near future, check out our list of things to do in Vang Vieng:
1. Jump to the Blue Lagoon: Blue Lagoon is one of the most famous destinations in Vang Vieng. The water though looks green and a bit murky is actually clean and in some months quite a bit clear. They installed a jumping platform on top of the trees were tourists jumped off or dive. Be careful though before you jump and make sure no one’s underneath your dropping point in the lagoon.
2. Tubing: Tubing is probably the most popular thing to do in Vang Vieng although the local government is now regulating tubing to avoid accidents on the river. They have removed the bars along the rivers and discourages tourists to drink while floating on the river. Tubing though is still permitted as of the time of writing but not drinking while on tubes.
3. ATV Rides: ATVs are available for rent in town and you can use it to drive around the rural areas of Vang Vieng especially on the dirt roads. A lot of tourists rent ATVs to go to Blue Lagoon instead of joining group tours.
4. Ride a Motorbike: There are motorbike rentals in town (and the rent is very cheap). A lot of tourists rent motorbikes so they could explore the various sights of Vang Vieng on their own.
5. Ride a Bicycle: For those who are not keen into riding motorbikes, you could always ride a bicycle instead and explore the town on your own.
6. Kayaking: You could also kayak and explore various parts of Vang Vieng on the river. There are also tours being arranged in town for a kayak trip from Vang Vieng to Vientiane.
7. Boat Tours: For those who want to explore the rive but don’t know how to kayak, you can always rent a boat that could tour you on the river.
8. Fishing: You could buy a fishing rod in town or just borrow from your hostel if they have one. You could also just watch locals fishing by the river.
9. Join Games and Meet Locals: Visitors often join volleyball or sepak takraw games being played y locals.
10. Join Tour Groups: If you don’t want to explore Vang Vieng on your own, join a group tour and meet fellow travelers.
11. Visit Temples: There are some temples in town that you can visit, it’s not as many though as the temples that you can fin in Luang Prabang.
12. Observe Local Wildlife: Vang Vieng’s environment is still clean and pristine and teeming with small wildlife such as a variety of colorful butterflies, dragonflies and more.
13. Eat Roasted Pork: Laos makes great roasted pork and you can find the shops selling them near the bus station.
14. Eat Baguette Sandwiches: These are tasty, cheap and filling snack quite popular among travelers on a budget. There are varieties to choose from like chicken, bacon, cheese, omelets and more.
15. Spend a lazy day by the River: Have you been traveling in Southeast Asia and quite feeling the travel fatigue? Then why not spend a few days doing nothing in Vang Vieng. Lie on a hammock, take a nap or read a book or just stay still and let time pass you b. vang Vieng is one of the nicest places in Southeast Asia to just relax and do nothing.
16. Have Dinner or Drinks by the River: There are numerous restaurants in town that offer cheap food and drinks and a great view of the river. Spend the afternoon having a cold fruit shake or a few drinks with your friends and enjoy the beautiful scenery of Vang Vieng.
These are just some of the things that you can do in Vang Vieng. Spend a few more days and discover more places to visit in this lovely town.